Pages

7.20.2010

[old.fs] What are sidewalks and overpasses for?


[OLD POST] Date: 06.27.2007 | Navigate to the original post here.


Have you been to the so called summer capital of the Philippines?
Yeah, I’m talkin’ bout good ol’ Baguio City, the city of pines. 







Anyway, I’m currently a freshman of SLU, and I live too far from the university for me to be laxed in going to school.  At the distance of the place I’m staying in from the university, and the dreaded traffic situations during rush hours of the city, I need at least an hour of travel time  before my class so as not to be late.
traffic is unpredictable, and even with an allowance of an hour, sometimes I still face the risks of being late.
Now, the main station of the jeepneys to and from our place is, I think, more or less a kilometer from the university. Tell you what, I walk that long distance from Monday through Saturday. (it isn’t too much anyways…^_^) I believe I’ve mentioned I still face the risks of being late…I hope you get the point…uh, lemme elaborate…

I arrive at the station some 10 minutes before the time, so I get to walkin’ real fast…the route requires that I walk on sidewalks, walk up and down some overpasses…I ain’t alone on catching up with time, there are lots of people rushing too…and one thing I noticed is that when people are in a hurry, they don’t observe the "rules of the road….er….pedestrians maybe?" they walk not on the sidewalks but on the shoulders of the roads. these are totally different…er…places. sidewalks are designed for the pedestrians to walk on. the shoulders I’m referring to are those spaces on the extreme sides of the road(but not the sidewalks)…these are those functioning like canals, directing water down to manholes.

if sidewalks and overpasses are not used when in a hurry, (and in our generation, everyone seems to be in a hurry most of the time) what are they for?

No comments:

Post a Comment